Sunday 20 November 2011

Current Event

World's Lightest Material Is a Metal 100 Times Lighter Than Styrofoam


Scientists from the UC Irvine laboratories, have found an created a metal, which is the lightest material on Earth right now with a density of 0.9mg/cc. This material is 100 times lighter than Styrofoam and is composed of 99.9 percent air, while the rest 0.01 is actually a solid metal. This metal is made of inter connected hollow tubes, Who's wall thickness is 1000 times less than the thickness of human hair. Unlike other metals this one has a characteristic to recover from a 50 percent strain. Scientists even tested out how light this material is, they placed it on a dandellion fluff, without damaging it.

I think this source is very reliable, because it was written by scientists and doctors who study metal and the lightness of other materials, but it was also on the Science Daily site which is reliable and trustworthy. I found this article on the science daily site and found it's title very interesting, and I never believed a object could be so light.


The title of the article itself interested me, but also all the amazing and astonishing facts that it provided. While reading this article I was fascinated by the material itself, I couldn't Believe such a material existed and was actually that light. I liked how this article was written and I liked the detail's that were provided. While reading the article I was amazed by the object itself.

University of California - Irvine. "World's lightest material is a metal 100 times lighter than styrofoam." ScienceDaily, 17 Nov. 2011. Web. 20 Nov. 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment