Sunday 5 February 2012

Cracking the code of life

Most of the ideas in this movie were new to me, I didn't know that genes and DNA Could tell us so much about us, and that there were so many diseases that were and are caused due to genes and our DNA. The reaction that was sparked after watching this was suprise, I was so suprised how amazing DNA is. Something Scary were the genetic diseases that can only be caused by 4 atoms. I learned how you can tell almost everything about us and our lives from our DNA, I learned that other beings such as fruit flies aren't so much genologically different than us even though we look more complex.

If I could find out if I have a certain diseases and no cure was available, I would not take the test, since you would live the rest of your life knowing that you have this gene diseases and there is no way you can stop it.


If reasearchers had a chance to take my DNA and maybe figure out a cure for a certain disease, I would give them my DNA since you can help save a lot of lives and change the world for the better. Most probably I would want royalties since, you gave a little part of yourself to a different person in order to find a cure, part of the credit goes to you since without you they would have been able to find this cure. If they discovered a gene that might result in a health problem and it is curable I would like to be informed since you can prevent it, but if it's not curable then no, since you would constantly live in fear.

If more is learned there is a risk of genetic discrimination, because of ones gene make up, like today there is discrimination for many things, but you could limit this by controlling who and where you can acecces the genetic makeup of a human being, only authroized scientists can be able to see this.

1 comment:

  1. Genetic diseases that can be caused by a missing letter in the DNA sequence and not just four atoms. You had a really good reflection to the film. You mention that you would want to have royalties because of your gene, but you got these genes from your parents. Don't you think the creators should get them?

    ReplyDelete