Wednesday 29 September 2010

The Oily Gulf
Stephen Ornes
June,2 2010
web
http://sciencenewsforkids.org/articles/20100602/Note2.asp
On the night of April 20, there was an explosion on an oil platform in the gulf of Mexico. Most people escaped but 11 died. There was a pipe underwater that went from the platform to the bottom of the ocean,which cracked open and oil started spewing out. Scientist tried covering the oil in domes which didn't work. Lots of fish and birds were affected by the oil; they were covered in oil and couldn't swim or fly. The authorities warned people not to eat fish because they may have been affected by the oil. A group of scientists predicts that up to 75000-109000 barrels of oil are being spilled. This is the biggest oil spill that ever happened.

This oil spill is affecting science in many ways, lots of fish and birds are affected by the spill if animals are affected science is, because scientists research about these fish and birds. A benefit of this article is that you learn what happened. The disadvantage is that this really happened. The problem is that the ocean and shore lines are being affected by the oil spill. Why was there an explosion.

I chose this article because I wanted to find out what happened during the oil spill. My attention was grabbed, when I heard how much oil was spilled in a single day. I learned how it happened when it happened and the effects it caused. I agree with idea to cover the oil with domes, but I am disappointed it did not work. I do believe this is reliable because I heard about it before. I was sad that lots of animals lost there lives because we made a big mistake. I really think this is a disaster.




3 comments:

  1. I chose to read your artcile because I saw that it was from the same author as mine. I agree that this is a disaster. But are you sure that the all the oil spilled in just one day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's insane, Not only would the ocean be polluted but fish sales must have dropped a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, what a coincidence, I did the same article in my first current events. T answer your question, Jan, the oil didn't spill in one day, as a matter of a fact it is still spilling.

    ReplyDelete