Wednesday 22 September 2010

"James Bond"-Like Worms
Unknown
Web
August 20 , 2009

Scientists found an unknown species of worms in oceans at the depth of 1800 meters.This annelid worm throws green bombs to blind a predator. By the time the predator can see again the worms gone. These little worms rage from the sizes of three fourths of an inch to almost four inches. The bombs are modified gills that consist of four chambers. When they are released they glow about a minute.

We are studying about creatures living things, and how they interact. This relates to are study, first it's a living creature it also interacts with other creatures such as the predator. This affects science, it gives us proof there are still creatures we don't know about such as this one. A benefit to science is that we found a creature that no one ever found, down under the ocean there are probably more creatures.

I choose this article because the title was appealing, I also like James Bond movies. The green bombs that little worms drop really grabbed my attention. I learned another way animals interact with each other. I do believe this is reliable people really went under water and found these species. I felt amazed while reading this article, living creatures have something people developed overtime and took them years. I really learned a lot and enjoyed this.



3 comments:

  1. Great job! I also think it's really interesting that that we newly found a new species, and I hope we find even more down there in the ocean because, like you said, it's a huge benefit to Science in general.
    I was wondering how come these worms in particular have modified gills - why is it that they are built differently than some fish, for example? Maybe it's because they're so deep in the ocean that they need a different type of protection, or something. I don't know.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marko, that was awesome, I like James Bond movies too. I thought it was interesting that a little worm like that could throw a green BOMB at a predator. It kind of reminds me of a squid, how it releases black ink when it is scared.

    Tristan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would the worm do if its predator didn't rely on sight to find its prey?
    -David 7B

    ReplyDelete